How To Fix iOS 17 Message/iMessage Not Working On iPhone 13/12/11/X/8
Summary: Have iOS 17 iMessage Not Working Problems like iMessage not being delivered, Effects/Emoji Not Working, App Crashing While Trying to Type a Message, iOS 17 messages on iCloud greyed out? Here're quick fixes. Get Omni Toolbox Free >
100% Free & Secure
As an alternative to the SMS and MMS messaging for most iPhone and iPad users, iMessage allows to send texts, documents, photos, videos, contact information, and group messages over the Internet. With the release of iOS 17 last week, there's a rising trend of iOS 17 iMessage not working on iPhone or iPad problems (How To Retrieve Deleted Text Messages On iPhone). For instance, iMessage not Being Delivered, Effects/Emoji Not Working, App Crashing While Trying to Type a Message, iOS 15.6.1 messages on iCloud greyed out, etc.
UPDATE 1 - What's New In iOS 17 (September 19, 2023): iOS 17 would be officially available in next week. With several new features, iOS 17 comes with Generative AI on Apple’s keyboard app, Contact posters, a Brand New Sticker Option, Location sharing feature, Check-In, StandBy, and more.iOS 17 What's New:
- The new FaceTime in iOS 17 lets you leave messages if the other person misses your call.
- In iOS 17's Messages app, you can have a better search filter and new abilities called catch-up, swipe to reply, transcribed audio messages, automatic removal of verification codes, and location sharing in a conversation.
- iOS 17 introduced the keyboard powered by machine learning, which is more powerful and intuitive. You can get better suggestions by typing a few words.
- In iOS 17, you'll have a new journaling app called Journal. Journal lets you add media with one tap and even provides writing prompts to get you started.
- Enjoy StandBy in iOS 17, which offers a new fullscreen experience that lets you use your iPhone as a clock on your bedside table.
DIAGNOSIS: If your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (iPod touch series from 1-7) or Mac gets affected with these iOS 17 iMessage Not Working problem, you are not along! Here have some easy-to-follow tips to troubleshoot these types of iPhone iPod iMessage Not Working problem. As iOS 17 iMessage problems maybe get caught up due to variety of reasons, consider Turning Off/On iMessage, Fatch iMessage settings, Wifi / Cellular data signal strength, Apple System Status to find a clue.
Pro Tips: Keep it in mind that during large scale iOS software launches or occasionally when there is an iCloud outage occurring, iMessage may stop working for a short period of time. Check iMessage connection status here: Apple System Status . Alert: Found your iPhone is getting sluggish after updating to iOS 17? Don't be panic. Follow this tutorial to learn Why Is My iPhone So Slow and How To Fix.
Common iPhone iMessage Not Working Scenarios After iOS 17 Update:
Solved - Why is my iMessage not working on my iPhone 11 Pro running
the latest iOS 17.
Solved - iOS 17 iMessage not working and keeps waiting for activation, unable to log in.
Solved - Use your Apple ID for iMessage not working for one person.
Best Free iOS System Recovery App
#1 Solution for iOS 17 iMessage Not Working
Fix 50+ iOS 15.6.1 Software Bugs and Glitches
Rescue iPhone from Crashes and Freezes
Most Common iOS 17 Problems and Best Fixes
iOS 17 Battery Problems
Battery drain after iOS 17 update include system data corruption, rogue apps.
iOS 17 Error Codes
Troubleshoot iPhone error 9, 4013, 10, 6, 2009, 4005, 75, 4010, 53 after iOS 17 update
- iOS 17 iMessage Issue 1: Can't Send or Receive iMessages on an iPhone
- iOS 17 iMessage Issue 2: iMessage Not Delivered to Other iPhone/Mac
- iOS 17 iMessage Issue 3: iMessage Effects Not Working After Updating To iOS 17
- iOS 17 iMessage Issue 4: iMessages Text Messages Are Lost
- iOS 17 iMessage Issue 5: SMS Service Denied from Unknown
iOS 17 iMessage Issue 1: Can't Send/Receive iMessages iPhone
The iPhone, iPad or iPod touch iMessages not working issue in iOS 17 may have many situations involved. Common scenarios like you can't send or receive iMessages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or you get an error when trying to activate iMessage, etc. Therefore, we have collected a bunch of tips on how to fix iOS 17 iPhone iPod iMessage not working problems (How To Retrieve Deleted Text Messages On iPhone).
Have a try to see if they'll work for you. For the general iOS 17 iMessages not working issue, like you see an alert when you send an iMessage, or if you cannot send to receive them at all, try these basic steps first (How To Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages On iPhone).
Basic Tips on Fixing iOS 17 iMessage Not Working Problems (Solutions):
- Fix 1 - Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Fix 2 - Check your Wifi network connection and Cellular data strength.
- Fix 3 - If you're trying to send group MMS messages on an iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and turn on MMS Messaging. If there is no option to turn on MMS Messaging or Group Messaging on your iPhone, then your carrier might not support this feature.
- Fix 4 - Make sure that you entered the correct phone number or email address for the contact.
- Fix 5 - If you see a green message bubble, and the iPhone or iPod won't send your message via iMessage, then it means you can use SMS as iMessages alternative.
iOS 17 iMessage Issue 2: iMessage Not Delivered To Other Device
Why is iMessage not delivering to the recipient? As another common iOS 15.6.1 issues, the iMessage Not Delivered problem may get you quite annoyed. Often, it fails to show the Not Delivered message either. This can affect multiple contacts or one specific person (How To Transfer Data To New iPhone). If you see an Exclamation mark icon says Not Delivered, apart from trying basic troubleshooting tips above, also try these tips:
Basic Tips on Fixing iOS 17 iMessage Not Delivered Problems (Solutions):
- Fix 1 - Check your network connection first.
- Fix 2 - Tap the Exclamation mark icon, then tap Try Again.
- Fix 3 - If you still can't send the message, tap the Exclamation mark icon, then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply (How To Fix iTunes Error 50). Contact your carrier for more information.
- Fix 4 - Turn on Airplane Mode and turn off (Works for many users).
iOS 17 iMessage Issue 3: iMessage Effects Not Working
Sending Messages with effects is one of the most popular feature in iMessages (How To Transfer Messages To New iPhone). However, the random iMessage Effects Not Working issue is also one of the most common iOS 17 iMessage problems we have met often (How To Fix iPhone X Error 4013). As the full iMessage effects work only when both sending and receiving device are running iOS 17 / 13 / 12, so confirm this before giving a try with tips below.
Basic Tips on Fixing iOS 17 iMessage Effects Not Working Problem (Solutions):
- Fix 1 Turn off Reduce Motion - Go to Settings app > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > Disable Reduce Motion.
- Fix 2 Check Recipients Capability - Check if the recipients use an iPhone, iPad or Mac too. Otherwise, the iMessage effects won't take in place.
- Fix 3 Check Auto-play Message Effects - Settings app > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > Turn on Auto-play Message Effects.
- Fix 4 Sign out and Sign in to iMessage - Go to Settings app > Messages > Send & Receive > Tap your Apple ID > Sign Out > Then Sign in.
iOS 17 iMessage Issue 4: iMessages Text Messages Are Lost
Apparently this is not a typical iOS 17 iMessage Not Working issue we mainly discussed in this iPhone manual article, but our users did get grounded by this issue. If you accidentally lost or mistakenly deleted your iMessages, follow this tutorial to retrieve your deleted iMessages in time.
iOS 17 iMessage Issue 5: SMS Service Access Denied by Unknown
If you're receiving an error message says Service Denied, from sender Unknown, try turn off / on Flight Mode to have a try (How To Download PDF On iPhone 11). If the problem persists, this iOS 17 problem is likely your mobile phone carrier and not your Apple iDevice/iPhone. Try give a check with your mobile carrier to find a solution (Check How To Fix iMessage and FaceTime Waiting for Activation Error in iOS 17).
The Bottom Line
Have you solve your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch iMessage not working problem in iOS 17 with our suggestions above? If yes, feel free to share this iOS 17 Problem tip to your friends. If not, drop a line to us and we will do the best to help you (How To Make An Animated Gif Picture On iPhone 11).