How To Fix
"Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16"
iOS 16.3 Won't Install - An error occurred installing iOS 16.3?
I am trying to install iOS 16.3 on an iPhone 12 Pro, and also my iPhone 8. When choosing to verify iOS 16.3 update, and error pops up - "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3". If it's caused by incapable device or just an iOS 16.3 update issue?
There are several ways to update an iPhone 13/12/11/XS or earlier models to the latest iOS 16.3. But the update requires basic requirements and certain conditions. If you see such an error message - "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3" - while trying to update your device, consider our curated iOS 16.3 Problems and Troubleshooting Tips to have a quick solution.
UPDATE 1 - What's New In iOS 16.3 (January 31, 2023): Apple released iOS 16.3 including a set of new features and bug fixes, like Freeform, Apple Music Sing, Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, etc. So far some spotted iOS 16.3 issues includes iPhone Stuck On Apple Logo, iPhone Security Lockout, Move To iOS Not Working, Use iPhone as Webcam and a patch of security issues caused by Caches.iOS 16.3 What's New:
- New Unity wallpaper in iOS 16.3 honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month.
- iOS 16.3 brings Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to strengthen the security of their account by requiring a physical security key as part of the two factor authentication sign in process on new devices.
- iOS 16.3 supports for HomePod (2nd generation)
- Emergency SOS calls now require holding the side button with the up or down volume button and then releasing in order to prevent inadvertent emergency calls.
- iOS 16.3 Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger may not appear on shared boards.
- iOS 16.3 Addresses an issue where the wallpaper may appear black on the Lock Screen.
- iOS 16.3 Fixes an issue where horizontal lines may temporarily appear while waking up iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- iOS 16.3 Fixes an issue where the Home Lock Screen widget does not accurately display Home app status.
- iOS 16.3 Addresses an issue where Siri may not respond properly to music requests.
- iOS 16.3 Resolves issues where Siri requests in CarPlay may not be understood correctly.
Table of Content:
- Part 1: Check If Your iPhone and iPad is iOS 16.3 Compatible
- Part 2: An Error Occurred While in Half Way? - Delete IPSW File and Retry
- Part 3: Check Network Connection If You Use Wireless Update
- Part 4: iOS 16.3 Install Stuck with Apple Logo and Black Screen
Part 1: Check If Your iPhone is iOS 16.3 Compatible
With every iOS update, Apple will drop support on relatively old devices. In comparison to the iOS 14 release last year, iOS 16.3 is no longer compatible with the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus ( How To Fix iPhone X Error 4013). Good news is, if you have an iPhone 6s/6s Plus, you can still keep it up to date with the latest iOS 16.3. If you constantly see this iOS 16.3 Update Error Message - "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 15.6.1", give a check on if your iPhone/iPad devices are supported by the current iOS 16.3 ( Why Unable To Activate Touch ID on This Phone ).
|iOS 16.3 Compatible Devices|
- It's a common sense that by upgrading to the latest iOS software, say iOS 16.3, you'll have the latest features, security updates, and bug fixes. But you should also keep in mind that not all features are available on all devices (Accidentally Deleted iMessage Conversation). Therefore, don't go hurry to update an old device to the latest iOS version unless you have series trouble with the current software.
Part 2: An Error Occurred While in Half Way? - Delete IPSW File and Try Again
As you know, the iOS 16.3 software updates only take place in certain circumstances. And to have a smooth iOS 16.3 update, it requires enough free available storage space on your iPhone, stable network connection for wireless iOS 16.3 updates, and also good status of your iPhone battery for initialing the update. Whichever part is getting out of track, you may get this error message saying: Unable to Check/Verify/Install/Download for Update, An error occurred while checking for a software update.
For whatever the reason iOS 16.3 update is interupted or hang in half way, you need to remove the incomplete iOS 16.3 software update file (in .ipsw format) and relaunch the iOS update again ( How To Fix iTunes Error 50). To remove and download the iOS update again:
How To Remove and Download iOS 16.3 Update Software Again
Open Settings app on your iPhone > General > Tap [Device name] Storage:
How To Remove iOS 15.6.1 Update Software
You'll see the list of apps installed on your iPhone > Select the iOS 15.6.1 update software:
How To Remove iOS 15.6.1 Update Software
Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update > Return to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS 16.3 update:
How To Remove iOS 15.6.1 Update Software
Check Network Connection If You Use Wireless Update
Apple issues iOS 16.3 update over the air by default. In regards of solving "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3" issue, so as to have quick and smooth iOS 16.3 update wirelessly, it's suggested to cancel other downloading tasks, and use a fast Wi-fi network if available ( Learn Why My iPhone 6s Wi-fi is Not Working).
Somehow even your network works fine, you may still get an error message saying Unable To Update To iOS 16.3. If so, give a try with another Wifi Network or, you can update your iPhone to iOS 16.3 via iTunes ( Learn How To Transfer Music from iPhone To iTunes).
iOS 16.3 Install Stuck with Apple Logo and Black Screen
The final step of installing iOS 16.3 updates is to restart your device. While this is also a common scene that such an iOS 16.3 update errors occur - "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3". When you installing iOS 16.3 update, it may be OK is the progress bar is moving slowly since the update time depends on the size of iOS software (and also the number of files on your iPhone, iPad).
However, if your iPhone gets stuck at Apple logo / loop, and cannot move any further, the iOS 16.3 update problems may be troublesome since you're losing control of your device. Fix My iPhone is the best in kind iOS System Recovery software for computers running macOS. It works in 99% of the iOS update failure scenarios including iPhone stuck on Apple Logo, as well as this "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 15.6.1" issue. If unfortunately you run into this Unable to Install iOS 15.6.1 Update issue, give a try with this iOS System Recovery tool.
Open Fix My iPhone and connect the iPhone with unable to install iOS 15.6.1 update issue to your Mac ( Check Common macOS Big Sur Problems):
Fix Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3 Step 1
Choose Instant iOS Fix (Restore iPhone to factory settings without losing iOS data) or Power iOS Fix (Force reset iPhone without iTunes):
Fix Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3 Step 2
Verify device model, iOS version and firmware version before restoring your problematic iPhone.
Fix Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3 Step 3
Click Download to start getting latest iOS 16.3 firmware for your iPhone > Continue to install it on your iPhone, when it finished, you'll see your iPhone get back to normal stage.
Fix Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3 Step 4
The Bottom Line
Now can you fix this "Unable To Install iOS 16.3 Update - An Error Occurred Installing iOS 16.3" glitch and enjoy the new iOS 15 on your device? One last thing, for general iPhone/iOS 16.3 Software problems, it's suggested choose Fix My iPhone. Free Download To Have A Try >
More iPhone/Mac Related Tips
- How To Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account In Seconds >
- Best iPhone / iTunes Backup Extractor Software >
- How To Find My Recently Deleted App on iPhone >
- Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone without Computer >
- How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iPhone 6 Plus >
- Top 15 Best Facebook Alternative You Cannot Miss >