Steam is a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation. By the end of 2015, Valve reported that there were 125 million active accounts on Steam. Steam for Mac recently has been reported for its lack of support on the latest macOS High Sierra: 32-bit Steam Game Is Not Optimized for Your Mac
Given that you're using a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, whose storage is really too expensive to get wasted, you definitely need to consider uninstalling some unwanted Steam games or the entire Steam software from your Mac. Follow this article to learn how to uninstall Steam on Mac.
- Part 1: How To Manually Uninstall Steam on Mac
- Part 2: Common Problems of Uninstalling Steam on Mac Manually
- Part 3: How To Completely Uninstall Steam on Mac [Time-Saving Method]
How To Manually Uninstall Steam on Mac
It's pretty simple to uninstall Steam or other applications on a Mac. Even you were switching from Windows PC to Mac, you'll get conditioned to this easy Mac App Uninstalling process: choose Steam in Application folder, then drag and drop it to Trash and that's it. But to be on the safe side, you'd better give a check on the following issues before you start uninstalling Steam on your Mac.
Pre-Check List Before You Start
- Can I play my games without Steam? No. The Steam application is required to play all games purchased through Steam, as well as retail games registered to Steam.
- Before you uninstall Steam (and Other Apps) on Mac, Quit it first. Otherwise you'll get a message saying: The item "Steam" cannot be removed because it's open.
- Make sure that you signed in your Mac as root administration permission. If you own your own personal Mac, you probably already are.
Step 1: Drag Steam.app To Trash
Open Finder on your Mac > Go to Applications > Drag Steam.app To Trash
How To Completely Uninstall Steam on Mac OS X
Step 2: Clean Up Steam Leftover Files in Library
By dragging and drop Steam.app to Trash folder, you may left these Spotify associated files like preferences, logs, caches behind. To do a clean and complete uninstall of your Steam, follow steps below.
1. Open Finder > in Menu, click Go > enter ~/Library/.
Manually Uninstall Steam on Mac - Step 2
2. You can see a huge amount of system file folders here. Now you need to locate the Steam leftover files by digging into each folder. The most common residuals could be found in: Application Support | Caches | Containers | Frameworks | Logs | Preferences | Saved | Application State | WebKit
3. Drag the files associated with Steam to Trash can folder.
Step 3: Empty Trash and Restart
By following steps above, you are close to uninstalling Steam for Mac. Now empty Trash and restart your computer to finish the removal of Steam on Mac.
The Common Problems of Uninstalling Steam on Mac Manually
The manual removal of Steam on Mac may take 5-10 minutes. If you are new to Mac, you may have met kind of troubles especially when searching for orphaned Steam files in Library folder. Here are some common Steam uninstalling problems you may have:
- Game Setups / Game Data / Game Files / Game Icon that are related to Steam on Mac have been found in the later use of your Mac.
- Manual removal of Steam on Mac requires advanced knowledge about how macOS file system and How Terminal works. Otherwise, any false operations, mistake deletions will bring troubles. For instance, other application (Safari) cannot open correctly, or even severer, your Mac may work abnormally.
How To Completely Uninstall Steam on Mac [Time-Saving]
Omni Remover is professional Mac App Uninstaller software made to help you uninstall Steam for Mac with easily. And more importantly, it will automatically start scanning Steam for Mac leftovers, remaining caches, orphaned or corrupt junks, so as to give you complete Steam for Mac Uninstalling solution.
- Step 1: Download and install Omni Remover on your Mac > Launch Omni Remover.
- Step 2: In Omni Remover > Force Uninstall > Drag and Drop Steam to the following zone:
- Step 3: Then Omni Remover will start scanning all associated data/files with Steam.
- Step 4: After it finished scanning, click Clean Uninstall to start uninstall Steam from your Mac.
Completely Uninstall Steam on Mac Step 1
Completely Uninstall Steam on Mac Step 2
The Bottom Line
Have you got your Steam removed from your Mac? If you still have problems with uninstalling Steam on Mac, leave a message in comment box below and our team will give you more specific solutions.