From yesterday a large number of Steam users reported that they were seeing a "[GAME] is not optimized for your Mac" alert. If you've seeing the same thing, you are likely running a game that is a 32-bit app on macOS 10.13.4.
35 Steam Games from Aspyr Are Affected
Not all game developers have updated thier popular 32-bit apps to 64-bit to ensure future playability with macOS. Aspyr, an American video game developer and publisher, says that so far its remedy for this upadte is currently unknown. We understood the 32-bit to 64-bit transition does present unique development challenges, and it's not yet known if every Aspyr game will be upgraded. This update affects the following Steam games from Aspyr Media:
- BioShock Infinite
- Borderlands 2
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
- Call of Duty 2
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty: Black Ops
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Civilization IV
- Civilization IV: Colonization
- Civilization V
- Command & Conquer™: Generals Deluxe Edition
- Company of Heroes Complete: Campaign Edition
- Doom 3
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
- Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
- Homeworld Remastered Collection
- Quake 4
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum
- SimCity 4: Deluxe Edition
- SimCity: Complete Edition
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
- The Sims 2: Castaway Stories
- The Sims 2: Life Stories
- The Sims 2: Pet Stories
- The Sims 2: Super Collection
- Tomb Raider II
Everything You Want To Know About This Alert
By cleaning up 32-bit Apps/Gamings from macOS, Apple hopes that this alert will help gamers and game developers to raise a concern about the modern design of Mac apps/games. According to Apple: "To ensure that the apps you purchase are as advanced as the Mac you run them on, all future Mac software will eventually be required to be 64-bit."
- Q: Why am I seeing this "[GAME] is not optimized for your Mac" alert? A: Starting with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, apps that have not been updated to use 64-bit processes produce a one-time alert when opened. This gives users advance notice that they are running 32-bit software/game, which will not be compatible with macOS in the future.
- Q: Can I keep playing my 32-bit games on my Mac? A: Yes, you may continue to play 32-bit games with your Mac today as this is just a reminder alert. This has no adverse effect on your data or your computer.
- Q: How do I check if my Steam game is 32-bit or 64-bit? A: On Apple menu > Choose About This Mac > Click the System Report button > Software > Applications. When you select an individual game, you will see a field titled "64-bit (Intel)".
"App is not optimized for your Mac" Alert
The Bottom Line
Please feel free to contact us if you have similar problems or concerns and we will update this thread as we have news or updates. Leave your message in comment box below to join the discussion with other steam gamers.
More macOS/Apple Related Tips
- What Is Other Storage On My Mac And How To Remove It >
- How To Fix iPhone 6/6s Slowdowns by Downgrading To iOS 10.2.0 >
- Final Cut Pro X Isn't Compatible With iOS 11's New H.265 Video Codec >
- How To Find My Recently Deleted App on iPhone >