2019 Complete Guide On How To Fix Frozen Mac
Q: Why my Mac keep freezing and how can I fix?
My MacBook Pro (mid-2015) has been frozen all at a sudden. It's stuck on the startup screen - Apple rainbow in the middle and spinning wheel. Does anyone know what causes the frozen of my Mac and how can I fix?
The modern Macintosh computer is equipped with up to 28-Core Intel Xeon CPU, 1.5TB of DDR4 ECC memory and monster-like AMD Radeon Pro GPU, all these overplus power source makes it impossible to get your Mac frozen, slow or even tiny sluggish. But on an elder Mac machine, freezing screen or unresponsive mouse cursor still is rare occurrence (Best Tips for Apps won't work on Mac Mojave).
Nevertheless, on this macOS Catalina upgrade season, if you feel your Mac freezes, the spinning beachball/rainbow wheel starts up, or you can't move your mouse or curser, can't use the keyboard, can't force quit, can't shut down, can't turn off, and can't log in, follow our 2019 Complete Why Mac Frozen and How To Fix Tutorial to find a solution.
Table of Content:
- Why does Mac keep freezing?
- Method 1: How To Fix Frozen Mac - Application crashes/freezes
- Method 2: How To Fix Frozen Mac - System crashes/freezes
Why does Mac keep freezing?
Before continuing, it's worth mentioning that these are two common types of crashes and freezes on a Mac: Application crashes/freezes and System crashes/freezes. By knowing this, you'll understand how to solve particular types of frozen Mac with proper solution. So what may cause crashes and freezes on a Mac? Here are some main reasons you may have met.
- Application crashes/freezes is the most common reason that may freeze your Mac. Many situation may cause this issue, say Mac application CPU deploying bugs; resource-intensive applications that heavily use the CPU; not enough system memory for applications to run; or too many applications open at once using up a lot of memory.
- System crashes/freezes is more severe Mac frozen problem because this is system wild issue and you cannot unfreeze this Mac simply by quitting an app. When the whole system has become slow or totally unresponsive and you can’t even use the mouse.
Method 1: How To Fix Frozen Mac - Application Crashes / Freezes
There are a few basic troubleshooting tips that you can follow to solve the crashes, freezes and other slowdowns on your Mac. The following tips are fairly obvious but it's surprising just how many people neglect to keep their Mac robust (How To Clear Cache Junk on macOS).
Frozen Mac Fix 1:
If your app is frozen and unresponsive, force quit the app (you may lose unsaved changes). Choose Apple menu > Force Quit, select the app in the dialog that appears, then click Force Quit.
How To Force Quit Frozen Unresponsive App Mac
Frozen Mac Fix 2:
Check the app's documentation to see whether this frozen app is compatible with your version of macOS. Also give a check to see if an update is available.
How To Check Mac App Update
Frozen Mac Fix 3:
Disconnect any peripheral devices you just connected (for example, an iPhone, a printer and eternal DVD drive). They may not be compatible with your version of macOS.
How To Remove Printer / Scanner Drive Mac
Method 2: How To Fix Frozen Mac - System Crashes / Freezes
It's not a usual case that a Mac gets crashed or froze. But if it happens, you should investigate the cause of the crash. If you encounter frequent freezes, check the following.
Check if your Mac has sufficient free hard drive. By default, once the hard disk space is running low, you'll get a warning message telling you the hard disk is almost full. Click Manage and take steps by following its recommendations.
Your Mac Disk Is Almost Full
Check the compatibility before upgrading to macOS Catalina beta, which so far is plagued with bugs and errors.
Upgrade To macOS Catalina
The Bottom Line
Still cannot fix the frozen Mac issue with our suggestions above? We also have Mac utility software that helps keep your Mac running light and fast: Free Download Best Mac App Uninstaller >
Version 2.8.0 (09th July, 2019) / Support macOS Catalina
Category: Mac Uninstaller
More iPhone/Mac Related Tips
- How To Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account In Seconds >
- Best iPhone / iTunes Backup Extractor Software 2018 >
- How To Find My Recently Deleted App on iPhone >
- Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone without Computer >
- How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iPhone 6 Plus >
- Top 15 Best Facebook Alternative 2018 You Cannot Miss >